Sunday 8 September 2013

Not Spanish Weather!

I awoke on Saturday to the feel of a breeze blowing through the open windows.   A few minutes later I heard heavy rain falling and this was accompanied by thunder.   It was too late to rescue our towels left outside.   Eventually the rain stopped and then started again as if to say "I haven't finished with you yet!"  
Once we had eaten breakfast we set off for the Eroski Hypermarket near Velez-Malaga to get our food for the next week or so.   It is quite different from Waitrose in Menai Bridge.   It is a massive store selling anything you could want.   There is a huge fish and seafood counter where they offer an amazing range of the freshest fish & seafood.   Next to this is a massive deli with more versions of Serrano ham, Chorizo and cheese than you might think exist.   Pauline found she was able to get round by pushing her wheelchair and sitting in it whenever she was getting pain.   This method worked like a charm!   It was funny when I asked for 15 slices of Serrano ham and the assistant cut 50 slices!   We only paid for 15 slices, though.  
 
At the far end of the store was our favourite section - wine!   We selected our bottles and Pauline was able to advise a Swiss couple on which were the best reds and whites.   In the greengrocery section I bought half a water melon wrapped in cling film.   We love it!   The piece is huge!   I managed to source a 5 litre container of Extra Virgin Olive Oil for 16 euros.   That will last me well over a year.   The only item we could not find was fire lighters for the barbecue so we can't light a bbq till tomorrow when I have been to the village shop.   Shops close on Sundays in Spain.   Neither could I find jam this year, so that's another purchase for tomorrow.  
 
Today we had a late breakfast of scrambled eggs and later a lunch of pate with crusty bread - washed down by a Portuguese beer provided by the house owners.   Tonight we shall be having pork chops with salad.   I did so much reading today that my Kindle had to be put on charge.   We have had a few swimming sessions too.   Earlier I opened my email to find that Reyes at Hotel Chateau La Roca is now a Twitter follower of my tweets.
 
Just now, life is very relaxing!

1 comment:

  1. Oh dear, we had quite a down pour all yesterday and this morning before Church, the combined service went well but I was shocked as to how quickly the Welsh people leave the Church, poor Stephen didn't even get time to get to the door, it was like a scrum to get out, never experienced anything like it. The food all sounds yummy and blinking heck that Oil should last a while. The wine section would be my favourite too, bet there are so many excellent choices there. You'll need the swimming sessions to burn off all that yummy food. Bless ya for posting, missing you already lol. xxx Take care and God Bless xxx

    ReplyDelete